Turayda
The Treiden Castle (Turaida today) was founded as a German stronghold in the Gauja corridor - in the valley of the Gauja River, dividing the region into the “land of the Livs” and the “land of the Latgalians”. Like many other fortified points of the Crusaders, it was located on the place of the captured and destroyed settlement of the Liv tribe. A stone crusader castle was founded by order of the Riga bishop Albrecht in 1214. It's German name was Treiden. The castle was originally called Fredeland, but this name has been forgotten. The Livs called him Turaida.
The castle belonged to the Riga archbishop, although it was not his residence. Here, on his behalf, the governor of the castle ruled - Vogt. Treiden periodically found himself in the center of hostilities during the conflicts between the Archbishop and the Order from 1298 to 1366. It was captured by the knights, but later returned to the archbishop.
Tags: castles and fortresses, 13 century, 14 century, 16 century, Teutonic Order (Livonia)